Sunday, October 18, 2009

Vegan Canape's

One week from today, I will throw my graduation / new job party. It will be held in the cafe that belongs to restaurant 't Koetshuys I blogged about earlier. As it happens, I'll be making my own canapes / snacks / bites. To cater for people who are following a somewhat vegan diet, I decided to practice today making vegan canapes. Because it was a rather impulsive idea, I just took some things from the cupboard.

I first cooked polenta for 40 minutes (with vegetable stock), then spread it out on an oven tray and let it bake for 30 minutes in the oven. It was still wet after 30 minutes, so I put it under the grill for an additional 7 minutes.

Next, I cooked some frozen shelled broad beans, and after they were cooked, I shelled them a second time. I mashed them with garlic, pepper and salt. I divided the polenta into three pieces and spread the bean paste on two pieces. Next, I stacked the three layers onto each other and cut them into square pieces, small enough to fit the paper cups.

To finish, I put a little dot of chili sauce on top, and presto, there you have it: vegan canapes!

I always thought vegan couldn't possibly be tasting good. So, I let N taste them, and, as she so kindly put it: "You've cooked better tasting things in the past!". It's true. Sorry to all you vegan people out there, but I just can't help it: to make things really appetizing, I think you will need some animal produce in the end. So, until next week, I'll try coming up with better tasting vegan recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment