Wednesday, October 21, 2009

McDonalds: Great Tastes of America burger no. 2

This blog post will serve as an excuse to my arteries. They are the main sufferers from the enduring eating-out experience, especially when eating out at the well-known fastfood restaurant chain, marked by two golden arches for its logo.

So there was this lunchtime, when I had not planned any eating-out event. Instead, N wanted to make something tasty for lunch so she made pancakes. Just as the first pancake got served, A asked when we'd be going to the Mac. I told him, if he'd been just a little earlier, I could have gone with him there and enjoy something there. However, N said she didn't mind -- all the more pancakes there would be for her. So A and me agreed to go to the Mac.

Of course I couldn't let her pancake making go unnoticed, so I had to try one. They were very tasty! Almost that tasty, that I was tempted to stay home instead. But alas, I had already made a Mac pact (Mact?) with A.

This time, during the "Great Tastes of America" week, a second burger was featured, the "Chicago Works" if I remember correctly.

Health-wise, I shouldn't have sampled another burger that quickly already, but of course I need to review these burgers for you, my faithful readers! Burger-duty so to speak.

Anyway, I felt it was a better burger than the previously sampled "Chicago Works", even though all three theme-burgers look exactly alike on official product-pictures, except for their buns. However, this one had discernible cheese, a better tasting white sauce, raw onion and an altogether better flavour.

Just to be clear on the onion rings however: I didn't order those, A did! After having been pressured into sampling those, by me of course. I mean, you can't miss out on great onion rings for a great price (1,-) -- and even non-vegetarian at that too! We agreed on finding McDonald's phone number, to ask why in heaven's name these onion rings are non-vegetarian. Haven't found that yet. Have you, A?

On a positive note: the onion rings seemed less burnt than the ones I had at this restaurant; also, they did come with chili dip! Can you tell us something about your onion ring experience, A?

However, the artery torturing didn't end there. In the evening, N and me had actually agreed to make some simple stew before heading over to her parents. Somehow we ended up again at a McDonald's, near the highway this time.

Since my arteries were already protesting, this time I had a simple side salad (better tasting without dressing than with), a Filet-o-Fish, a yoghurt and a small coke. Of course, a Filet-o-Fish contains deep fried fish, does come with (half) a slice of cheese and some sauce which probably won't be all that fat-free, the yoghurt is sweetened to such an extent that it's more of a sugary gooey substance and my coke wasn't a diet coke -- but in my defense, I didn't finish the coke (which I found out today when I saw there was a half empty cup of coke still in the car), I had a plain salad which was just lettuce, some corn kernels and some carrot, and there was fish instead of a meat patty.

I think that should fool my arteries enough to keep on sampling fast food!

For tomorrow, we will be enjoying a seven course dinner at the fancy 't Diekhuus restaurant in Terwolde, near Deventer. Let's see if I dare to take pictures or whether it'll even be allowed. If so, you may expect some fancy fine dining experience blog post soon!

2 comments:

  1. Well, the onion rings were good, although not as pungent as the onion rings at the Burger King. I don't think they needed all that chili sauce, although I kind of drowned them in it, haha...

    Haven't called the McDonalds yet about the "non-vegetarian" part...mainly because I can't be arsed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. McDonalds is the best (check http://coolometer.org/mcdonalds-vs-burger-king ).

    ReplyDelete