Sunday, June 28, 2009

KFC

Great was the day when the Colonel's descendants in all their wisdom bestowed upon us humble Groningers (inhabitants of Groningen, The Netherlands) our very own KFC restaurant. It truly made us wipe away a tear from our eye, we were touched in our hearts by the mere thought of being able to enjoy deep fried chicken goodness.
Well, A and me anyway. Nobody else around us seems to either care or even like it at all. N hates the fries (I guess she has a point, they tend to be more soggy). K doesn't know what's so special about it. Another K and H, whom I once took in the car back on our way home after a long day, found out several important pieces were missing from their order (like, 6 pieces of chicken or something like that). They only found out after I dropped them at the railway station. Of course we didn't ask for a receipt so there was no way of pointing out missing stuff to the KFC employees. H tried mailing the Dutch KFC headquarters, but apparently never got any response.

Well, all the more chicken for A and me! And great chicken it is. Because, let's face it, it's not the sides you're going to the KFC for. Fries? Nah. Drinks? Pepsi, no Coke. Okay, corn on the cob is a great side. But in the end, the chicken is the reason.

Today, N got home sick. I guess she has an ear infection. I made her some ramen with edamame, but then I was left with the question of what to have for dinner myself. Or, should I say, which fastfood joint I'd go to? There are two options if you're by car: McDonald's or the KFC. Since I went to the Mac the last time (see previous post) I decided to go to the KFC this time.
There are some advantages to taking your meal home, over eating at the restaurant itself: you can have your own sauces with your meal! That means, yes, having chili sauce with your chicken, and, no, not paying extra for mayonaise to go with the fries (Yes, we do that in Holland. Get over it). And, in case someone left the napkins out, you can just clean your hands (and face) anyway.

Amazingly, everything was in order this time when I ordered the Variety meal (somewhat different from the Variety box meal in the USA). It even included some napkins (which lately seem to be left out more and more). The Variety box included three hotwings, two strips and one smallish wing-thigh part thingy. There was a small pack of fries, some coleslaw and a 0.4L drink. I ate it all. It made me a happy Kurger.

4 comments:

  1. je kunt ook langs de kurger bing ehm burger king rijden toch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alleen met de fiets, niet met de auto :(

    A = Anonymous? Of A = K? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. berg/mohammed, drive-in/drive-by.. er zit er maar een ding op... een echte drive-by laat zelfs de meest vastgevette snackhal omslaan in een luxe to-car delivery service waarin je diy heart attack uber whopper meal desnoods aan je gevoerd wordt (niet te lang wachten ivm smaakbeleving en aanlooptijd van de politie)

    anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeeeyy..we like KFC also ;-) A quick solution for hungry people :p We sometimes print these coupons, too (as tussendoortjes :p http://www.kfc.nl/180/coupons/ Groetjes!

    ReplyDelete