Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Corn Cookies

Having more than half a can of tinned corn kernels left, I decided to make some corn cookies. They're originally from Indonesia, where they are supposedly called frikandel. They ought to be made with corn, eggs, flour, a chili pepper, celery and some leeks. I didn't have all those ingredients at hand (and also N doesn't like hot food) so I left out the chili and replaced the celery by some basil leaves and the leeks by a diced onion.

For the batter, I drained off the corn. Then I mixed one egg with the corn, added two tablespoons of flour, added the diced onion and shredded basil leaves and some freshly ground salt and pepper. The batter didn't turn out to bind its constituents that well, so I added another egg which in turn made things a little too soggy - so I added some more tablespoons of flour until the batter was somewhat sticky.

I heated up a generous amount of oil (the cookies basically need to be deep fried). I scooped in three spoonfuls of batter and let them bake on both sides for three minutes each.

A first taste test revealed they were quite tasty. The batter gave 6 cookies, of which I put two in the freezer for later use and the rest in the fridge to be eaten at lunch or whenever I feel like snacking. Downside of it all was that there were these heavy, deep-fry fumes. But who cares, if you get to have these great snacks :)

1 comment:

  1. Yummy..Er ziet lekker uit!!!It is called bala-bala (Sundanese) or bakwan (Javanese). Like it so much ;-) My friend sometimes naughtily tried to mix it with chesse :D

    ReplyDelete