Sunday, July 26, 2009

Toast Skagen

The first two days of our stay in Sweden being quite rainy, we spent them indoors. Friday we went for a nice drive around the country and stopped in Ljungskile, somewhere on the south-west-coast of Sweden.

It had some kind of small vessel harbor, on the banks of a fjord. Next to it was a restaurant where we had lunch. N took the fish and chips, I took the Toast Skagen. My first real Scandinavian dish this holiday! Hurray.

I knew it from TV, when some Dutch chef (Rudolf) went to Stockholm to take on a Swedish chef (no, not from the Muppets) in a Toast Skagen contest. He even managed to win that by public vote. It is a shrimp salad on toast. The shrimp salad consists of shrimps (yeah really), red onion, dill, sour cream and mayonaise and is served with some red caviar. I knew I liked it, because after having seen the TV show I had made it myself and I liked it. I did find that the flavour enhances when it's left to stay for a day, so the onion gives off more flavour. However, in a restaurant where everything is prepared fresh, they can't do that naturally, so it had a less intense flavour but was still great.


N's fish was on the other hand quite tasteless. Luckily there was some yellowy sauce accompanying it which gave it some flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment