Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Remains of the Holiday


Well, since I've got these previous posts written unusually fast this time, I guess there's time left to add another post with the aforementioned remains of the holiday. Some side-notes about fastfood and schnapps.

On our way back from the UK to the Netherlands, we stopped at a road-side restaurant, which housed a Wimpy burger restaurant. Initially, when entering the place, I didn't feel like having fastfood, but the other restaurants didn't seem to offer that much interesting alternatives. So in the end, I ended up having the fastfood any way.

I should note that the burgers I'm familiar with, are the ones that are sold at the Mac or the Burger King, since those two are the only fastfood burger joint chains we've got over here where we live.
At the Wimpy restaurant, I decided to order a cheeseburger. Because we were planning to get to our boat in time, I took the burger back with me to the car and while N drove, I took pictures of the burger and ate it.

The box seems like a very common fastfood burger box, perhaps with more of an 'eco' feel to it
Well, then, the burger itself. Since it seemed to have a whole-wheat bun, I was expecting a heavy chunk of fastfood-bun. However, I was pleasantly surprised by its lightness. I guess it can be compared to the lightness of a standard Mac or BK bun, but in turn it seemed to have much more flavor.


In addition to the bun and the cheese, there was also iceberg lettuce on the burger, adding a crisp and fresher taste compared to a typical Mac or BK cheeseburger, which would be offered without veggies (if we leave the pickles out of this comparison). Remembering the taste, a few weeks later now, I think there must have been some sort of sauce on it as well, though I can't tell for sure. The patty was a standard patty you'd get at other fastfood joints. All in all, it did leave a positive impression on me. That's what I remember.

While typing this review, I checked out the Wimpy menu on their website, as I usually do when I want to recall some of the things that were on the menu. Now, there doesn't seem to be a cheeseburger in particular; there does seem to be a  quarterpounder with cheese however, which kind of like lives up to the memory I have in my mind of what I ate. So I guess, I didn't have a cheeseburger at all, but instead a quarterpounder with cheese. Which would explain the nice meaty memories I also have when thinking about this burger.
No matter, I can just say that, whenever you'd happen to be in the UK and would want a change from your regular BK and Mac burgers, I could happily recommend the Wimpy restaurant.
Additionally, they seem to have a whole range of other menu options, including interesting breakfast options. In case we ever happen to visit the UK again, I'll try to review this joint again. Just for the sole purpose of this blog of course. Ahem.




Now then, the final part in this remains-of-the-holiday post, should go about a dinner we had in Germany, when visiting the wedding of our friends B & F. However, no pictures were taken (just from the complimentary schnapps, more on that later). So instead, I'll let a description of the event suffice.
We were searching in the sleepy town of Datteln for a place to eat. No restaurants seemed to be present at all, but one, a local steak house. So, despite it not looking like the most modern of restaurants, we decided to try and get something to eat there. I can say that we had a very decent meal with schnitzel there, all for very decent costs. The funny part in this description will undoubtedly concern some alcohol again.
First, when we were seated, we got complimentary schnapps when we were handed the menus. Since N was driving, she gave me her schnapps as well. It was sweet alcoholic liquor of some sort. So, in addition to the traditional Warsteiner beers you're supposed to drink when you're eating at a German restaurant, this resulted in me getting in a happy mood :). Anyway, in the end when we asked for the bill, again we got complimentary schnapps. So, since N wasn't having any, again, I was having a third and then a fourth schnapps. *hips*.
Then, when we had paid, I guess our waiter was feeling sorry for N not having anything alcoholic to drink. So when we got up, he brought her a complimentary bottle of white wine, to take home with us! An amazing display of hospitality and a warm recommendation for anyone to visit this place. Be sure to visit Steakhaus International whenever you're in Datteln!

*hips*

No comments:

Post a Comment