Friday, July 30, 2010

Holiday part 2

In part 2 of the holiday series, I'd like to take you to to a wonderful little tea room in Shipston-on-Stour. Well, actually, I can't take you there literally, but you catch my drift. N and I took S there to have some tea and lunch (quite hungry at 14:00).

S had a cheese-scone with avocado, brie or camembert and cress
N had toast with scrambled eggs and bacon
For myself, I ordered a classic scone with strawberry jam and clotted cream
Note about the clotted cream: I had always wondered what it would be like, since it can't be bought here in the Netherlands. It turned out to be closer to butter than to whipped cream, which may alternatively be served in the Netherlands when having tea (for example, at the Theefabriek). It was rich. It was delicious. It was artery-clogging, heart-stoppingly good. Yum!
Also, I think this was the first time I had an actual, full-sized scone. Not the mini-versions we always sample at the Theefabriek, nor the selfmade attempts at scones that wouldn't rise and stay compact little bricks. No, this was a piece of pastry, the size of a tennisball, very fluffy yet satisfying.

To me, it made for a very nice English tea-drinking event.

2 comments:

  1. Heyy...wat een leuk vakantie! The foods looked very goooddd..:D And scoooneessss..love them sooo much! Do you have any idea where to find them in Groningen? Groetjes, MO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, thanx :) Hope yours was good too!
    About scones, I have been wondering about that myself too. It's not a thing a bakery typically sells, and whenever I'm at a supermarket I never think about searching for them (not that you would want supermarket versions I guess). Nevertheless, the search continues!

    ReplyDelete